I really enjoy sewing, I don't always enjoy all the prep work it takes to get to the actual sewing. That's why I am always on the lookout for tools that allow me to save time without sacrificing quality. Pattern weights do just that.
What Are Pattern Weights Used For
Pattern Weights are an excellent way to hold your pattern to fabric without, using any pins. Just place the weights on the pattern and you are ready to make the cut. Pattern weights are faster and easier than pinning and can be used with scissors or a rotary cutter.
Make Your Own Pattern Weights
Deep bowl or bucket
Spoon for mixing
Silicone mold, ice tray or several containers
You will want to work quickly because it doesn't take long for the cement to harden
- Mix the cement is a deep container to avoid a mess. I also covered my table with newspaper
- Fill your mold or containers with enough cement to create the size of weights you want. I filled my silicone molds to the "fill" line.
- Place the molds somewhere they will not be disturbed while they harden overnight
- After 24 hrs you can remove the molds
- If you have rough areas you can either break them off or rub them with some sandpaper.
For those of you that may not want to make your own I have them listed in my shop.
I have been using the cement weights for almost a month now and they have earned a permanent spot on my cutting table. What types of tools or tricks have you found to make your sewing more enjoyable?